Friday, September 26, 2008


About a month ago, I had the oh so great idea to make our Halloween costumes this year. Now, I am asking myself WHY!?!? Really, what was I thinking. I remember way back when I was 12. I was preparing to go on the pioneer trek, and I was responsible for making my own skirts. I went with my mom to pick out the material, cut out the fabric, did some pinning, then sat down at the sewing machine. And that is where it ended. After several attempts at sewing a straight line, my dear mother took pity on me, and did it for me. Well, 12 years later, I still can't sew a straight line. It doesn't help that the material I picked out is very slippery and stretchy and horrendous to work with. But despite my deficiencies with sewing, I did manage to turn eight separate pieces into four. And it only took 3 hours!! (The pattern cover said it should just take an hour, and I am not even close to being finished.)
This afternoon Orion and I went to the library. We had to return Signing Time, a movie which Orion has come to love, but we did get a different Signing Time dvd. We got home from the library and I gave the dvd to Orion to carry into the house, while I grabbed my stack of books. He imediatly went downstairs and put it in. I am not sure how I feel about my 20 month old baby boy knowing how to work the dvd player. So I let him watch the movie and then we went outside to play. Like always, he got extremely dirty and muddy, and loved every moment of it. It always brakes my heart when I tell him we have to go inside and he looks at me like I just took away his favorite toy for no good reason at all. What a mean mom I am. After we came inside though, he got to take a bath, which he loves almost as much as being outside. What a cute boy I have!

2 comments:

blondeviolin said...

Abby's decided Signing Time isn't nearly as cool as Mickey Mouse...but Emmett still likes it. He even signs "Leah" when it comes on. LOL

You do have a cute little boy!

And don't worry...I'm sewing deficient too. Luckily I'm married a guy who isn't and likes to do it. :)

Tess said...

What are you going to be for Halloween? I try to choose costumes that I can make without the sewing machine...last year I was Wilma Flintstone and I just ripped up a white shirt and cut up a white skirt. Sewing can be daunting! I'm impressed!
Oh yes, and I remember those good ol' pioneer skirts. Good times. ;)