Friday, October 10, 2008

Park Pariahs

After spending an hour ignoring Orion, I decided to treat him to his favorite activity. We went to the park. He loves this. Everything from finding his shoes (today, one was in the kitchen sink, the other in his crib) to riding home on my shoulders. But today, was not so fun. Hand in hand we walked down the street, Orion doing a fast jog to keep up. Occassionally we would stop and look at the giant lamp post, or the minuscule ants; both of which Orion would try to pick up. When we finally reached the park, there were already about three families there playing. Not a problem, Orion plays well with others, most of the time. But as soon as we got close to where the other kids were, the parents called them away. After playing by himself for a couple minutes, Orion tried to venture off to where the other kids were. Again, as soon as we got close, the kids were told to go some place else to play. This went on for about ten minutes, when I finally picked Orion up and went home. I have to admit, my feelings were a little hurt. It isn't like Orion has an awful contagiouse disease, that all the other kids were going to get if they got within spitting distance. (Not that any of them or Orion were spitting, but it gets the point across.) As a special treat to Orion, since we didn't stay long at the park, and it wasn't really all that exciting anyway, I let him help with my sewing project. He had the ever important job of putting the pins back in the pin cushion.

Don't tell him this, but later, I went and re-did several of the pins. Every time I picked up the cusion, I was poked by a pin. The rest of the day has gone better. We had pizza for lunch, and Orion loved it. This afternoon, Ruth and Moroni came over to play. I think Orion really enjoyed having them here.

4 comments:

Chaney said...

I think I would have said something to the parents...or at least to myself when they could hear! We would have played with you and Orion!

blondeviolin said...

Y'know...I'm the reverse...I seem to be overly sensitive if my kids are annoying the other kids. But if they come up to play with my kids, GREAT! LOL

Sorry you were pariahs. Next time it'll be better.

Jenifer said...

I'm gonna guess that their kids had some kind of contagious disease or serious medical condition and the mom was just nervous to get your precious Orion sick. Right? Right.

You're the best. Sorry you had to deal with that.

James and Aimee said...

I am so glad the rest of your day went better. We love you!